Hello!
How is everyone!? Hopefully amazing because its conference weekend! We (missionaries and investigators) have been SO excited for conference! As we were eating dinner last night we were like.."Sunday morning General Conference starts...NOW!" We were not able to watch it though because most of it goes on in the middle of the night. It has been recorded and copies of the sessions are being shipped right now, and then everyone in Africa will be watching it on the 30 and the 31 of October! Hopefully the mission president lets us watch all the sessions, but let me tell you, it is a dream of dreams of some of our recent converts to attend Conference in person!
Anyway, this week was pretty exciting. We were not able to go hiking because our car brakes took all day to get fixed, but I did get to see my first wild life this week! I was on splits with the Zone leaders (which is SO fun) and they have a GAME PARK in their area! Its a pretty week one, but I still say a flock of those deer that lions like to eat...no lions though. I was on splits with an Elder Mcombes. He is a goofy kid but we get along really well...it has never occurred to me until this point, but maybe that's why we get along so well...? Nope, cant be. But anyways, I went to Springs which is a "town" area. I was so excited and their schedule was booked! they had one to two appointments scheduled every hour for the entire day! It turned out to be a rough day because every single person ditched their appointments accept for two, one of which was correlation meeting. I didn't mind to much because I was in a new place, so It was still a really enjoyable day for me. Elder Mcombes was obviously very disappointed so he took us out for ice cream at the end of the night to cheer him up. We had Dip cones, a favorite. Other than that It was a pretty non eventful exchange.
This week we also had Mission President Interviews. (Probably because the mission is getting ready for Elder Holland in a week and a half!) But the interview went really well. My mission President is the best and it is really easy for us to just talk about life. He is awesome.
Yesterday while everyone back home was enjoying conference I enjoyed my first African rain. It was exciting to see rain once again, but the rain quickly left and there was a dust storm! I felt like a Texas not knowing how to deal with a dust storm because I was blinded within taking one step outside! Wow I'm sorry, other than that it has been a pretty un-eventful week.
Maybe I could answer some questions. Dad, In a recent letter you asked about missionary work. I was reminded of your question in my studies of Preach My Gospel this week. I would direct you to page 84 of Preach my gospel for a good answer, but my advice would be to keep it simple. Often we stress about finding opportunities to share the gospel with others. This is good because the lord promises us that as we strive to share the gospel, our understanding of the gospel will grow and we will be able to feel the spirit more often. But to my comment about keep it simple, Don't be awkward about it. Missionary work does not mean that you need to show up on the doorstep of everyone you know with missionaries. Rather, you can simple include others with your "church activities". For example, you mentioned that you had people from the ward over the other day. How many people over were your neighbors, or friends outside of the church? This gets your friends involved with the church in a simple way. As well you could have a BBQ with friends and invite the missionaries over to grill the meat or something. Invite them to a church Christmas activity. Its not weird to invite someone to church. I am amazed at how often I am invited to other churches and the invitation is not weird at all but it shows the care the other individual has for you Just suggestions, but the main part is getting the ones you want to share the gospel with, involved.
Preach My gospel teaches that the lord will help us as we strive to share his gospel. And in Jacob 5:75 we read about the joys that come as a result of sharing the gospel. It has also amazed me while I have been here how simple the gospel is. The lord wants us to follow him by: 1. Having faith in him. Faith includes not only believing in Christ, but striving to do what he wants of us. (keeping his commandments) 2. Repent 3. Be baptised by someone holding the proper authority. 4. Receive the gift of the holy Ghost (this is what my personal study consisted of today. The difference between the light of Christ and the Holy Ghost). and then 5. He simply wants us to endure to the end. Continue keeping his commandments, doing what we are supposed to, serving others, etc.
Another insight I had from studying lately was the family Unit. I believe its the next page in Preach My Gospel pg 85 there is a sentence that I really enjoyed. "Heaven is a continuation of the Ideal Home." this led me as well to D&C 130:2 where it mentions how important the family unit is and how the same family unit we enjoy here on earth will continue with us to heaven, coupled with a joy that we cannot comprehend. We need to continue strengthening the family unit. Spend time with your family. The prophet did not tell us to set aside Monday night for family home evening because he was running out of things to say. It is important, spend that time together, do something fun together, go enjoy a smoothie together (because I wont be able to for 2 years), do something fun together!
Well family my time is running out. I need to go now!
I hope everyone is getting my letters and enjoying conference!
Love you all
Elder Williams
PS. Above I mentioned being invited to other churches. This week we were invited to a Rrostufarian church! I can safely say that's the first time that has happened for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment