Monday, July 25, 2011
From Nelspruit, South Africa
Dear Family,
I continue to be amazed at how much stuff is going on at home. Each time I get on here the family is returning home from a trip, Siblings have updates in medical school, all my 6 foot 8 friends are getting married, etc. Sounds like everyone is doing well and staying safe back home.
I also feel like I have had a lot going on lately, but oddly enough I don't have too much to report this week. First of all I didn't realize that yesterday was Pioneer Day. I guess that makes sense because the primary asked me to do sharing time about pioneers. It was my first time doing anything in primary, but it was SWEET! We started by singing popcorn popping, and then I started the sharing time and this week was so hectic that I didn't have any time to prepare so I had to make it all up on the spot, but it worked out! They were all given lollies (suckers) before I started, so I compared that to the gospel...something that is really good. Then I talked about how people didn't like them so much so they had to leave there homes. This is where they had to go play follow the leader (Elder Stewart who was acting as the prophet) and they had to walk around for a few minutes and then come back. Now that they were in their new place they had to build a whole new home but it was alright because they still had their lollies (gospel). Once their homes were build, bad men chased them out again and they had to go follow the prophet again...but they still have their lollies once again! The kids loved it....I had fun.
One of the highlights from the week is that I weighed myself for the first time in a long long long time and I have gained 10 lbs since being in Africa...whats up! I am excited about that.
I did have my leadership meeting this week. It was pretty crazy because President Omer requested that we drive to the meeting that day instead of the night before, so we had to wake up at 4:30 to be to the meeting on time. Leadership meetings in this zone are very small because there are not many leaders, but I brought both companions with me. Elder Molai was funny because I guess Tongans don't like long drives or meeting, so he was pretty much asleep the whole day and Elder Stewart is just funny being a new missionary and all. It was a good meeting, nothing too intense. Our zone is doing very well, one of the top for the mission which is surprising because of the wealth in our areas.
I don't know if I told you earlier but there is a gas strike going on in South Africa right now. This is the second one since I have been here. In Africa if nothing is going on, people get bored and decide to go on strike, so the people who deliver gas are on strike. It hasn't really affected us yet, but its been going for a long time now so some gas stations are starting to run out of gas...hope all stays stable there.
Dad asked a little about the teaching/baptisms thus far on the mission. To answer your question, no. I don't have any idea how many people I have taught ended up getting baptized. For myself I have personally been involved in baptizing roughly 25 people and we will baptize 2 more this week. These two are the kids of one of the recent converts in the branch. But I do know that in Botswana they are still baptizing some of the people I taught up there. This week I received the best letter I have ever received (no offence to anyone that has sent me a letter). It was from William Madumane family. The second father led family I have baptized. They sent the letter and said that all is well. I was a little worried about this family when they were baptized. I didn't know if they would stay strong or what would happen to them, but the letter they sent me was full of their testimonies and love for the gospel... If THAT is not the best letter I can receive then I don't know what is!
As well, last I heard from Botswana, the Motheo family is still going strong and doing well in their leadership callings in the Branch.
I am out of time but just quickly one Elder Stewart update: It is pretty weird being with 3 missionaries, but it's a good 3. It is funny because he doesn't know how to teach yet, but he thinks he does ha ha. We are trying to teach him a bit! I never realized how much goes into training a missionary and I just hope we will be able to teach him well. We found out that he leaves in 4 weeks ( his Visa will come through). The other companionship (Elder Fisher and Elder Onsongo) have not exactly been seeing eye to eye on anything lately so I have had to deal pretty closely with that stuff while trying to keep Elder Stewart away from it so he doesn't have to be exposed to that too early on him mission. Now that I have mentioned it, quick update on Elder Fisher and Elder Onsongo. I knew they would hit this wall of getting angry at each other at some point, so its not unexpected at least. Elder Onsongo has requested a transfer, but President Omer has told me to help them work it out...so work it out we will! I'm going to be a master at solving conflict by the time I get home ha ha.
Well love you all!
Elder Williams
PS. Elder Stewart eats raw meat....T.I.A (This IS Africa)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment