Steve LOVES to go to the Ft. Worth Stock Show every year. I think it brings back memories from his childhood. Blake and Camille already had plans for today so we took Grant and headed back in time. Grant loved having his picture taken with the animals.

Here they are having a demonstration of the milking machines. I have never been a milk lover as I was also a farm girl. Too much warm whole milk for me in my youth I guess....but every time I see this demonstration I wonder why I drink milk at all!! I am beginning to think dry cereal sounds pretty good.

We loved seeing all of the miniature horses. Many of them were the size of a dog. Here Grant poses with the horse named Charlie.

OK so I was thinking...........If you put a steel ring in
someones nose they would pretty much do whatever you want them to. Isn't this animal cruelty?? What we do in the name of beauty. This cow was getting a hair cut for show time.

We enjoyed watching some of the young kids show their animals. I came from this kind of background and it brought many good memories back to mind. Not that I ever showed animals because I hated getting my hands dirty....I did however have to change water lines, butcher chickens, haul hay, feed the horses, pigs, cows etc. My Mom use to tell me all the time that out of all of her kids I was the one who just did not like the farm life! But what I have come to appreciate is what it takes to live that kind of life. These are good down to earth, hard working people. In many, many respects I wish my kids had opportunity to grow up on a farm!

Grant was soon ready to head home. After all...after you have seen so many cows they all start to look the same.

You know you are raising a CITY BOY when you ask Grant, what are these? and he says..cows! Just for the record Grant these are sheep. Oh you should have seen the look on Steve's face. I could read it loud and clear..We have failed our kids! :)

This cow was massive. Steve said Isn't that a beautiful cow? Can cows be beautiful I asked??

Blake and Camille went with a group of kids last night to the big Rodeo and said they had a blast. We tried to get tickets for tonight's rodeo but it was all sold out. Maybe next year!
2 comments:
Don't worry, Grant. It's easy to confuse sheep with cows. They all have four legs and live on a farm don't they? Definately a city boy. It does make you appreciate what a simple, hard, yet worthy life these wonderful famers and ranchers live. Thanks, Stacey for sharing!
So fun! I didn't really take part in any of the raising live animals fun when I was younger...however alot of my friends did, so I always envied their life, for nothing else, but they got to take a week off of school to go sell their pigs/cattle/sheep @ the county fair each year...
I can't wait to hear Grant's take on it all! :)
Post a Comment