Happy Birthday Mom and Joel! I can't believe that it is almost MAY, but it IS! And Happy graduation to Carly and Joel!
Those were exciting pictures from the family, both the one of Elder Oaks, and the one of Sister Smith. I am impressed that Elder Oaks knows all the missions in South Africa that easily. And I am happy that you were able to see Sister Smith, that just takes me back to the good MTC days!
Once again I feel like a lot has happened this week. I have two intense stories, so I will start with the most intense first. Yesterday we were able to confirm the Motheo family (so nice!) and then when they sat down Sister Motheo was called as the relief Society President, and Brother Botheo was called as the Employment Specialist! Both pretty cool callings. Especially Relief Society President, that just shows how sweet the family is. As a side note from the family, the other missionaries had a baptism after church yesterday and the Motheo's 7 year old daughter conducted the music! They are so excited about the Gospel!
Next intense story: We had presidents interviews this week (more on that later if I have time), but while we were waiting for our interviews Sister Poulsen told us a story from a missionary this week. She said that one of the missionaries from the newest group of missionaries was taking a shower, but he was in there for a really long time, so his flat mates knocked on the door...nothing. So they just let it be for a little bit, and then once again they knocked on the door to see what was going on, once again...nothing, so they broke in the door and found him laying on the ground with blood all over the place, passed out. Turns out he slipped on a tile and landed on the corner of the tub head first, knocking him out. Obviously they took him to the hospital, and when he finally work up they realized that his memory from 2008 was gone. He has not recollection of the past 3 years including coming on a mission. They say that he is slowly getting some of his memory back, so he should be OK, but I thought that was a notable story.
In other news I have been thinking this whole week about how sweet it would be if Cami was in Botswana right now! I'm sure the mission President would have let us go to lunch or something, but its alright, we will just do that in 14 months.
I mentioned that we had presidents interviews this week. That was pretty exciting because it was probably the last Presidents interview that I will have with president Poulsen. He goes home in June. He was pretty happy about some of the success that we have been having and then gave some additional advice for us. I am excited to see what kinds of changes we have with our new mission president. I cannot imagine what he would change. Oh and I almost forgot, when we did the interviews, President Poulsen surprised us 30 min before by changing the meeting place from the church to our house. Anyways, he met in our study room and when he got in there he saw the photo alb you just sent me. He got excited and opened it up right to the page with grants face paint (the blown up picture that would look weird as anything to anyone who does not know what it is). I guess he was a little confused because he just shut the book! It probably does not sound funny to you, but in the MOMENT it was pretty funny.
This week Elder Hughes and I were also trying to find new ideas for finding people, especially because it was Easter and everyone left for the holidays (Easter is a big deal here, everyone leaves to visit family like we do in Christmas). Our idea for finding was to set up a table at one of the shopping malls here while elder Hughes played the hymns on the keyboard and I contacted people. It was actually very successful and we contacted about 30 people in 2 hours. Contact: Talk with someone and either set an appointment or leave them with something to read.
1 more random statement about the Motheo family is that they enjoyed conference so much that they have decided to attend in person! They obviously have to save for it, but I am hoping it will be when I get home so that I can go to conference with them. By that time they will also have gone through the temple, so I will be able to go with them! That would be like Christmas dayX10 for me.
Well that is all the random statements I have from the week. You guys often ask if I am happy/ excited to be on mission, etc. The answer to all these is YES! The mission is so much harder than I expected and you grow so much more that I originally expected as well. Some days are very hard, people ditch appointments, your not feeling well, people are rude, the trials go on and on and on, but that's all they are, trials. Once I was able to learn that all these are simply trials, that's where the mission kind of turned for me. I was able to face the trials as a learning experience rather than a discouragement.
Yesterday was a very rewarding day for me. I don't know what it was about the day, but for some reason I was able to see how much love I have grown for the people here, and as well, how much love they have grown for me. I had to opportunity of stopping by a few recent converts last night and it was a wonderful experience for me. We first stopped by Joyce and Bakang. Joyce is an older lady, and one of the nicest I have ever met. Every time she sees us she lights up as if us visiting her has made her entire day.
We then went to Jumanes place and he and his wife were so happy to see us. We were planning on just stopping by for 30 seconds to set an appointment, but they would not let us leave until we were fed. We sat there for quite some time with not much said, just some small talk here and there, but the family was all smiles from ear to ear during our entire visit.
It is experiences like this when I get to take a step back and realize why it is that we are out here. I am not out here for me, but I am here because the Lord has called me to be here at this specific place, visiting these specific people. Elder Holland explained it well when he was visiting us about 6 months ago. While speaking of our purpose he said, "some days are hard, some people may through rocks, steal your car, even kill you, well so be it!" Now obviously I don't have any of those things happen, (well, accept for the rocks...but that's for another day) but it out lined the importance of our mission. Yes I am happy I am serving a mission, and yes I am happy!
I have said enough
Thank you for everything family!
Love you
Elder Blake T. Williams
Sunday, May 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment