TEXAS WILLIAMS FAMILY...LIVING IN THE TEXAS OF CANADA!

HOWDY YA'LL!! EH?


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

In Memory of Max 8/2010

This is a picture of Grant with Max and Missy shortly after we moved.  We had been so worried about Missy making the trip because she is so old and half blind and deaf.  We are not sure what happened on the trip over but it appeared that Missy caught new life and Max struggled.  He became a bit more aggressive and mean to all of us.  I thought he would settle down and I didn't think much more of it.  He was a rescue dog and has always been a little skittish because he had been abused as a puppy.  Max drove me NUTS because of all of his quirks but I understood that it was because of what happened to him as a puppy and love him..he was kind of like a naughty kid.  Just because they are bad...you still love them.HA ....

 we took a short trip to Edmonton with Steve for work and had a little neighbor girl watch the dogs.  When we got home we were horrified to find out that Max bit her and would not let her near him.  She was terrified of him.  I felt so bad.  In the next few days I noticed he was becoming even more aggressive until he tried to bite Grant.  I was sick but I became more and more worried that he would bite someone and hurt them badly.  Grant and I took Max to the Vet.  We told the Vet Max's history and he advised us to put Max asleep. With his age and the fact that he has bitten he felt like he would continue to get meaner.  I knew that was what he would tell us but I felt terrible!  Grant said Mom, when will he wake up? I said he won't wake up.  He said well Dad woke up when they put him to sleep for surgery. :) Camille said Grant that is just a nice way to say he will die.  Needless to say. Grant was in tears and so was I.  I could hardly go to sleep for the next several nights worrying if I had done the right thing.  Steve assured me that it was what we had to do but it did not make it any easier!  Poor little Max.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh how SAD! I'm really crying right now! I can't even imagine what it would be like to put down our dog Jax, it must have been the hardest thing! Hope you guys are doing good and if you ever need a cute dog to cuddle with you can come cuddle with our Jax.

texaswilliams said...

Jen, it was the hardest theing ever! I cried for weeks...The vet sent me a paw print and a nice card and i cried again!

Marybeth said...

I'm tearing up, too! It's so sad you had to go through this with everything else going on in your life. Poor Max. You did do the right thing.

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones